Wired vs (bad) Wireless communications speeds

Alan J. Gagne alanjgagne at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 14:23:32 UTC 2012

> Between my laptop and my server there is a WiFi modem and an ADSL
> router and I think the comms is too slow.  The device speed for each is:
>
>     Server: Intel 82567LF Gigabit: 10/100/1000 Mb/s
>
>     Belkin Wireless F5D7230-4v7: 10/100 Mb/s
>
>     Belkin ModemRouter F1PI241ENau: 10/100 Mb/s
>
>     Asus Zenbook UX31: ath9k: 54 Mb/s
>                        RJ45 via USB: 10/100 Mb/s
>
> and Cat5 cables.
>
> On an unloaded network I can get about 6.5 Mb/s when I use the cable
> connection to the laptop but nothing better than about 1.5 Mb/s for the
> wireless connection - and even that is when the laptop and the wireless
> router are only about 1.5m apart (the XFCE network icon shows connection
> quality is then at about 90%).
>
> Anyone know why the wireless performance is not better than this?

You could be hitting a a Atheros driver problem.

On my laptop I had to use the workaround below to correct horrible
wireless performance.
I am not familiar with what can be done your system so YMMV.

03:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR9285 Wireless
Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)
     Subsystem: AzureWave Device 2c37
     Kernel driver in use: ath9k
     Kernel modules: ath9k

WORKAROUND:
rmmod ath9k
modprobe ath9k nohwcrypt=1
echo "options ath9k nohwcrypt=1" > /etc/modprobe.d/ath9k.conf

Alan