huge mail going throw my mail server how to protect

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Fri Apr 6 18:43:19 UTC 2012

On 04/06/2012 11:22 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:
> so in my opinion if someone thinks "hey, i read some howtos
> and in two weeks my server is production ready" he makes
> a terrible mistake

This reminds me of something that happened over a dozen years ago, when
I was doing tech support for an ISP.  I took a call from a man who
wanted to know if he could use Windows Personal Webserver to host a
website from his home computer.  Now, to me at least, the answer was
obvious but it was also clear that if the caller had to ask, he probably
wasn't ready to be doing it.  Instead of just answering his question, I
tried to start out by advising him of the hazards involved.

"Don't tell me about what can go wrong," he told me.  "I can find that
out for myself by doing it.  Just tell me if it's possible."

After a moment's thought, I did what was possibly the nastiest, cruelest
thing I ever did as a tech support rep: I told him that he could do what
he wanted, wished him a good day and ended the call.