how to use a mailing-list

Sam Sharpe lists.redhat at samsharpe.net
Sat Apr 7 10:43:40 UTC 2012

On 7 April 2012 10:25, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:
> Am 07.04.2012 11:13, schrieb Fernando Cassia:
>> On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 08:20, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:
>>> would you PLEASE send replies only back to the
>>> list and ONLY to ONE incarnation of this list
>>> the first To and the Cc are useless
>>> in thunderbird you can even drag a "reoply to list"
>>> button to your icon-bar that can handle reply to
>>> mailing-lists for you
>>>
>>> Am 06.04.2012 13:07, schrieb Fernando Cassia:
>>
>> Are you talking to me?. I don´t use Thunderbird. I use Googl´s GMail
>> (AJAX) web based client.
>>
>> I hit the "reply" button. That´s all there is to do to reply to an
>> e-mail.

This reply is sent via Gmail, I simply hit the Reply button - you will
see that at this point the mail addresses I reply to are correct.

However some elementary investigation shows that Philip Rhoades sent
the message you originally replied on to fedora-list at redhat.com, which
means when you got it, Phillip's and the real list address were in the
Reply-To header and fedora-list at redhat.com was in the To header -
which is why when you replied, it came up with all three addresses.
That's not particularly bad mail client behaviour.

My diagnosis is therefore that the original fail was not yours,
although you could have trimmed those duplicate list addresses from
your reply. Whether you trim the additional personal recipient is a
matter of personal choice, because some people like their address in
the message so they can easily track replies to them. Some people
don't like this, whether due to childhood trauma or not.

It wasn't particularly difficult for me to diagnose this, without
resorting to ranting and name-calling, but then I do know a fair
amount about mail hosting.

The fix for this is to disable the old list address and bounce it with
a message indicating the correct new list address, instead of
forwarding it on to the real list address. It's been a while since the
list hosting was moved, perhaps now it's worth severing the ties.

--
Sam