F16: ssh-add: Could not open a connection to your authentication agent.

Ranjan Maitra maitra at iastate.edu
Sat Apr 7 15:33:41 UTC 2012

On Sat, 7 Apr 2012 23:28:05 +0800 Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko at greshko.com>
wrote:

> On 04/07/2012 11:10 PM, Ranjan Maitra wrote:
> >> It means /usr/bin/ssh-agent isn't running.
> > But why did it suddenly stop?
>
> Are you sure it even started?   (See below....)

In the past, it has always started.

> > The usual way: type password in lxdm. Is this what you were asking?
>
> I asked because it has been a long time and I've forgotten what process gets it
> going.  I know that it won't get started by logging in via ssh.  I know that when
> using kde it gets started somewhere along the line in the startkde process.  Don't
> know what kicks it off in other desktops.

This has always been the case from when I used fvwm, xfce and (now)
lxde.

> So....  Does it get started again when you logout/login?

No. Do I use systemd on this? But again, I have never had to do this,
ever, and I have my ssh-agent running all the time: that is how I
connect to the remote machine (without authenticating every time). I can
only connect now by typing the passphrase everytime.

Many thanks again!
Ranjan