how to use a mailing-list

Sam Sharpe lists.redhat at samsharpe.net
Sat Apr 7 16:07:34 UTC 2012

On 7 April 2012 15:52, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:

> Am 07.04.2012 16:48, schrieb Sam Sharpe:
>> On 7 April 2012 14:57, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:
>>> really, as long you do not understand the headers in
>>> a mail and the fact the no one needs multiple copies
>>> of the same mails do not explain people "the normal way"
>>
>> Scroll up a few messages. I've already stated that the problem was in
>> the headers of the message Phillip originally sent, not in Fernando's
>> reply as you stated. I therefore suggest that you don't understand
>> mail headers either and are not in the best moral position to continue
>> this argument.
>
> this explains the additional @redhat.com address
> but this does not explain all 3 RCPT

Ok, you're not getting this. Let me explain simply so that you
understand and we can end this tedious argument you seem to want to
spend a lot of effort on a weekend to perpetuate.

There were three email addresses in the reply:

1) The sender of the message - whether he wants a reply or not is his
personal preference, not yours so as you didn't originate the message,
you have no grounds for argument.
2) The correct mailing list address - a reply should have gone here.
3) The old mailing list address - this should not have been in the
headers, but the fact it was is not Fernando's fault.

> this is only the result of "reply all" which is (to say it clear)
> completly idiotic on a mailing-list, so do not explain me in
> what position i am if > 50% of messages from this list which
> are a reply of a list-message are coming twice

Clearly you aren't a Gmail user, perhaps you should investigate it, it
would give you something to do that isn't starting pointless flame
wars. I have precisely one "Reply" button, which on a correctly sent
mailing list post replies to only the list address. Fernando has the
same on his Gmail I would guess, so he didn't hit "Reply to All" - he
has no such option.

So let me put it bluntly, you blamed the wrong person for the error
here, you haven't yet apologised for that public mistake and you are
still acting like an ass. Grow up.

--
Sam