F16: ssh-add: Could not open a connection to your authentication agent.

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Sat Apr 7 16:29:27 UTC 2012

On 04/08/2012 12:12 AM, Ranjan Maitra wrote:
> On Sun, 8 Apr 2012 00:05:50 +0800 Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko at greshko.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 04/07/2012 11:53 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
>>> So, it had started previously under lxde?
>> FWIW, I just group installed LXDE on a VM and ssh-agent started OK when I logged in.
>>
> OK, then it is me perhaps. But I did nothing out of the ordinary. What
> do I do to fix the problem? Find it hopefully?
>
> rebooting did not help.

FWIW, my VM wasn't fully updated.  I just ran yum update, rebooted and logged in to
the lxde desktop environment....and all was as expected.

egreshko  1595  1483  0 00:21 ?        00:00:00 /usr/bin/ssh-agent /bin/sh -c exec -l
/bin/bash -c "/usr/bin/startlxde"

and the environment variables are set accordingly.

SSH_AGENT_PID=1595
SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/tmp/ssh-CQUbfzKj1483/agent.1483
SSH_ASKPASS=/usr/libexec/openssh/gnome-ssh-askpass
CVS_RSH=ssh

I have never see the need to run "ssh-add" so I don't know what problems are
encountered by its failure.

As for the failure of ssh-agent to start....  Hummm....

Maybe I would try booting my system in multi-user.target as opposed to
graphical.target and then manually run startlxde and check the results.  (But I would
do that after I wake up ... considering it is 00:30 here....  :-) 0

of the century. -- Dame Edna Everage