AV (RCA) Cable in Fedora and Linux??

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Sun Apr 8 08:37:11 UTC 2012

On 04/08/2012 03:29 PM, Manuel Escudero wrote:
> So what I tried basically was to connect that cable to the projector and then used
> this one:
>
> http://www.pcwizkid.co.uk/images/usb%20to%203rca.jpg
>
> To connect it to the computer via USB, in theory Fedora should recognize the
> projector as
> a second "monitor" and then the projector should show the image of the computer in
> the "AV IN" option right?
> but it doesn't happen :S
>
> When I conect the projector to the computer via AV IN => USB neither the projector
> recognizes the computer or the computer the projector, did a test with a lsusb to
> confirm...
>
> Am I doing something wrong? does I need a hardware converter or a program in order
> to this to work?
> Because once I conected my Fedora Laptop to another projector Via VGA cable and the
> same thing
> happened, with Windows/Mac computers everything worked flawlessly.

If you look at the information for that cable you'd see....

Note: PC Computer Laptop can't use the cable directly

You can't hook this cable to the USB port of any system then plug the male RCA
connectors to the female RCA connector and then plug the 3.5mm jack into your
projector.  The USB ports can't act as Video drivers....

You need to tell people a few things....

What is the make and model of your projector?

What type of system is your Fedora system?  Desktop/Laptop?  What is the video HW?
If a desktop, what type of video card?  Does it have one or two connectors?  Many
have a VGA and DVI connector and are capable to drive dual monitors.

of the century. -- Dame Edna Everage