why is ipv6 fixly compiled in latest F15 and all F16 kernels?

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sun Apr 8 11:33:22 UTC 2012

Am 08.04.2012 13:27, schrieb Alchemist:
> I have disabled ipv6 permanently since F14, and no problem. Just add
> "install ipv6 /bin/true to /etc/modprobe.d/dist.conf"(old variant) or
> "blacklist ipv6" to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf and
> "net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6 = 1" to /etc/sysctl.conf. There is
> nothing you cant control in your Fedora setup.

but if you would take a look now you would recognize that
this all does no longer work since we are no longer
speak about a loadable module

and that is why you have to add "ipv6.disable=1" as kernel parameter
with recent kernel builds of F15/F16

> net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6 = 1

this is nice but only a part of the game and does
not disbale ipv6 completly!

try "netstat --numeric-hosts --numeric-ports --notrim --programs -u -t -l"
and you will see ntpd and samba as example listen on the ipv6 loopback
and also error messages in this context in several services if
you do this after machine has bootet

AGAIN: "ipv6.disable=1" as kernel-param is the only real way to
disable ipv6 at all in recent kernels and after that even your
proposed sysctl parameters will lead in errors because after
disable it they are no longer present