why is ipv6 fixly compiled in latest F15 and all F16 kernels?

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Mon Apr 9 02:45:09 UTC 2012

Frantisek Hanzlik wrote:
> Reindl Harald wrote:
>>

>> Am 08.04.2012 14:07, schrieb Frantisek Hanzlik:
>>> Networking code has especial position, as bugs / problems /
>>> misconfigurations in it have strong impact to machine security.
>>> And I simply do not want do any ip6tables and other ipv6
>>> security configuration - because I do not want use ipv6
>>> _entirely_
>>
>> so disable it
>> what is your exactly problem?
>>
>> i maintain 20 public fedora machines and no
>> single one has any ipv6 configuration becuase
>> i disabled it as explained - why can you do
>> not the same?

>>> Have I after each update supervise whether NM or other stuff
>>> made some unwanted changes - maybe even on kernel commandline?
>>> And after each reboot again? No, I donĀ“t want it.
>>
>> boah you have to disable it once for years as you
>> gad to disable the odule all the years before
>>
>> NM is not in the position to overrdie kernel-parameters
>> kernel-parameters are not changed by updates
>>
>> so again: what is your problem?

>>> even if I wipe it from disk most services was able reconstruct
>>> it and load again ;)
>>
>> so and what is the difference now?

>>> Here I eventually agree with You
>>
>> hm you agree about memory fooprint
>> you can disable ipv6 entirely
>>
>> so again: what is your problem?
>
> Yeah, finitely we are back at my beginning question, fine.
> Maybe $SUBJECT is incomprehensible, my English is poor.
> I was asked for any reason(s) why now is ipv6 compiled in
> kernel instead of previous (several months ago) state when
> it was kernel module, for years.
> For the present I cannot see any good arguments or references.

I can't see any reason to beat this topic further, it's the default because the
developers believe it is most useful to the majority of users. You can build
your kernel with as many things added or removed as you please and add patches
as you find are needed.

You understand how to solve what seems a trouble for you, you have the answer
"it's more generally useful" and you are entitled to your opinion but it's not
done by vote. So I guess you live with it or fix it on your machines. I fix
things, many people do, I don't think any deiscussion here is likely to be more
useful to you.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>