Exim sucess or fail? F16

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Mon Apr 9 16:12:58 UTC 2012

Am 09.04.2012 18:03, schrieb Frank Murphy:
> service exim restart
> Restarting exim (via systemctl):                           [  OK  ]
> [root at frank01 ~]# systemctl status exim.service
> exim.service - SYSV: Exim is a Mail Transport Agent, which is the program that moves mail from one machine to another.
>       Loaded: loaded (/etc/rc.d/init.d/exim)
>       Active: failed since Mon, 09 Apr 2012 16:54:19 +0100; 1s ago
>      Process: 1957 ExecStop=/etc/rc.d/init.d/exim stop (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
>      Process: 1949 ExecStart=/etc/rc.d/init.d/exim start (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
>     Main PID: 1954 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
>       CGroup: name=systemd:/system/exim.service
>

> From what this is telling me exim, can't PID(dle)
> A quick search on /etc/exim.conf dont mention a pid

please file a bugreport why this is still a sysv-service
instead of a systemd-unit, with native systemd-units
the whole PID-crap is no longer needed

even if some systemd-units still define them, the service
would not completly fail

in F16 every single systemd-unit with PID definition in
spits warnings into /var/log/messages and after copy
the unit to /etc/systemd/system/ and remove the PID line
all is running fine

sad to see that there are still non-convertd servcies and
even for the converted ones maintainers are inforing
/var/log/messages most of the time