AV (RCA) Cable in Fedora and Linux??

Mikkel L. Ellertson mellertson at gmail.com
Mon Apr 9 23:21:03 UTC 2012

On 04/08/2012 04:17 AM, Manuel Escudero wrote:

> @Edward M, Ed Greshko: It's completely generic, the projector
doesn't have a brand, doesn't has a model.
> My computer it's a laptop with VGA port, the only cables I have are
the ones I show in the following images:

> http://bit.ly/HrV0KV
> http://bit.ly/Hs3qS1
>
> (Same as above)
>
> So, Quick idea: As the USB port is not capable to stream video, I
was wondering if
> with this cable:
>
> http://bit.ly/I9GS7K

It looks like this cable breaks out the VGA signal to a RGB output.
If the projector excepts RGB video input, then it will work. (Is
cable http://bit.ly/HrV0KV just for video, or audio and video both?)

> Maybe it will be possible to connect the projector to the VGA port
of the PC and then select
> it as an output instead of the laptop screen resulting that in a
projection from the computer
> to the projector?? O.o, In a "Diagram" My idea is:
>
> This to the projector: (As it only has AV IN port exactly for this
cable):

> http://bit.ly/HrV0KV
>
> Then This to that cable:
>
> http://bit.ly/I9GS7K
>
> And Finally the VGA end from that last cable to the VGA port of the
Laptop, then maybe run the
> command issued above:
>
> "xrandr --output VGA"
>
> And as far as I understand it should result in projection from the
laptop computer to
> the projector as it were a VGA monitor right??
>
> What do you think? :)

Dumb question - does your laptop have an S-video output? If so, you
can probably use that, especially if the projector has an S-video input.

Also, depending on your laptop, there may be more then one video
"card" - so you can have the built-in display showing one thing, and
the external video showing another. Or they can both show the same
thing, but at different video resolution. If your laptop has this,
you can use the GUI setup tool to set each screen the way you want.

There are USB video "cards" - I do not know how well they are
supported, as I have never needed one.

I hope this helps...
Mikkel
- --
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and
taste good with Ketchup!