systemd :: cups.service not working

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Tue Apr 10 09:33:08 UTC 2012

Am 10.04.2012 11:28, schrieb Adrian Sevcenco:
> On 04/10/12 12:12, Reindl Harald wrote:
>> Am 10.04.2012 11:01, schrieb Adrian Sevcenco:
>>> Hi! I have a problem with starting cups .. i dont know when exactly
>>> the problem appeared but i had a good working cups ... the thing is
>>> that i still have as if i start the cups with the line from
>>> cups.service in a root terminal i can use my printers without
>>> problems .. that problem is that systemctl enable cups.service
>>> and sysctemctl start cups.service does not start cups.
> Hi!
>
>> try
>>
>> systemctl disable cups.service systemctl stop cups.service systemctl
>> enable cups.service systemctl start cups.service
>
> [root at sev ~]# systemctl disable cups.service
> rm '/etc/systemd/system/printer.target.wants/cups.service'
> rm '/etc/systemd/system/sockets.target.wants/cups.socket'
> rm '/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/cups.path'
>
> [root at sev ~]# systemctl stop cups.service
>
> [root at sev ~]# systemctl enable cups.service
> ln -s '/lib/systemd/system/cups.service'
> '/etc/systemd/system/printer.target.wants/cups.service'
> ln -s '/lib/systemd/system/cups.socket'
> '/etc/systemd/system/sockets.target.wants/cups.socket'
> ln -s '/lib/systemd/system/cups.path'
> '/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/cups.path'
>
> [root at sev ~]# systemctl start cups.service
> [root at sev ~]# systemctl status cups.service
> cups.service - CUPS Printing Service
>           Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/cups.service; enabled)
>           Active: failed since Tue, 10 Apr 2012 12:24:06 +0300; 1min 26s ago
>          Process: 10462 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/cupsd -f (code=exited,
> status=226/NAMESPACE)
>           CGroup: name=systemd:/system/cups.service
>
> and the thing is that if i start the /usr/sbin/cupsd -f it works ok ..
> as you see above it is not working.. any other idea?

sorry, not really

if there is anything in dmesg or /var/log/messages you
maybe can find out what is going wrong and/or get
informations to write a bugreport, i can not
reproduce this

here cups is working fine and only cups.socket enabled
which triggers cups.service as it is need (currently
by something in kde-login and systemd is listening
on the cups-port as expected)