NOTICE F16 KDE stability solved

n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 at ntlworld.com
Wed Apr 11 07:53:26 UTC 2012

On 11/04/12 03:27, Tim wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-04-10 at 18:30 +0100, n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 wrote:
>> Well, after struggling on and off for a few months I have got F16 KDE
>> stable. The answer it turns out was to ensure the BIOS memory settings
>> properly matched the installed processor, as not all processors can
>> make use of all the functionality. In my case using AMD X2 and not
>> AMD Phenom processor.
> Hmm, and good luck getting that right.  In something like 15 years of
> messing with IBM-style personal computers, I've yet to see a manual for
> a motherboard that actually EXPLAINS the features/functions/options set
> in the BIOS they include.
>
> NB:  "Here you can adjust options for your CPU" is not an adequate
> explanation.  We need to know precisely what each individual option
> actually does, and likewise with the choices selectable for each option.
>
> And it's no good referring to instructions for similar-seeming BIOSes,
> we need precise information about what we're actually using.
>
> Even without Windows on a PC, it's still the world's crappiest designed
> product ever produced.

Apparently I got lucky. Anyway the crucial settings appear to be the
following:

Memory controller mode : Unganged
Bank interleaving : Auto (Only applicable if you have paired memory
modules installed)
Channel interleaving : disabled   (this is only works for Phenom and not
X2,X3, or X4 processors)

The memory timings and voltages were left as auto.

Motherboard : ASRock K10N78D AMD2 motherboard using AMD X2 processor

With respect to the manual and the BIOS settings I'm inclined to agree
with you, although in this
case it was by referring back to the manual and default values that I
finally solved my problem. In
fact I am now able to use an ATAPI zip drive as well which had long been
a problem.

For all of this it is still extremely frustrating.