Login on Fedora 17

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 20:17:20 UTC 2012

On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 11:06:50AM -0400, Mark Haney wrote:
> On 04/11/2012 10:34 AM, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> >You can still login at this prompt with your 'root' account and
> >password.  From that point, you can look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log to see
> >what happened that caused your X Window System to fail.  If you want
> >to post that for people here to look at and offer advice, please
> >*don't* attach the file to your email.  It will probably be too big
> >and your message won't come through.  Instead, post it somewhere like
> >http://fpaste.org and send a link to your paste here.
>
> That's true it is a fairly generic question, however, the OP did
> state he'd tried to login with root and failed.  Sounds to me like X
> wasn't the only thing that is having issues.
>
> Although it could be the password he used.  I noticed one time that
> the password I was using simply wouldn't work on the initial install
> of Fedora no matter how many times I installed it.  It did work
> however after changing it once I got it installed.

To the OP: If you'r having trouble with the root password, and you're
sure you typed it correctly -- you can do the following:

1. At the GRUB boot menu, hit Tab to edit the default entry.
2. Go down to the (long, multi-line) entry that starts with "linux"
   and add " 1" (that's a space and then a number 1) to the end.
3. Hit F10 to accept the changes for this session, and boot.
4. At the prompt, type the following command to reset the root
   password:
   passwd
5. You can then type the following command to complete normal startup:
   systemctl isolate default.target

HTH.