Login on Fedora 17

stan gryt2 at q.com
Thu Apr 12 14:27:01 UTC 2012

On Thu, 12 Apr 2012 09:11:46 +0900
Joel Rees <joel.rees at gmail.com> wrote:

> If you're not familiar with which keys moved, then, yeah, you may want
> to have another system handy for checking what keys are supposed to be
> where in the default keyboard map. The first few times take a bit of
> effort, which is why it's often quicker to just boot single and fix
> the password.

I'm not sure if this answers the problem you are having, so I'll let
you decide.  If you can boot the system in question, you can set the
keymap in the kernel parameters.  That way you always know the keymap
you are dealing with. e.g. KEYTABLE=us  And if you want to be sure of
consistency in X, put a file in your home directory called .Xkbmap with
a single line giving the name of the keyboard map you want X to always
use.  It will be set at login.

I think these maps are stored in different places.  The first, the
kernel line, is the map for consoles (see loadkeys,
and /etc/sysconfig/keyboard). And the second is, of course, part of X
infrastructure (/usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols).  Unfortunately, they have
different syntax.