How to copy text selected by gpm from a tty to some gnome-session?

stan gryt2 at q.com
Thu Apr 12 18:16:05 UTC 2012

On Thu, 12 Apr 2012 09:21:36 -0700
Rick Stevens <rstevens at corp.alldigital.com> wrote:

> On 04/12/2012 07:30 AM, stan wrote:
> > On Thu, 12 Apr 2012 08:52:16 +0200
> > Joachim Backes<joachim.backes at rhrk.uni-kl.de>  wrote:
> >
> >> a little question: I copy some text on a tty console by gpm, and I
> >> want to paste this text into some gnome/kde session. How to do this
> >> without using some file?
> >
> > If I understand your question, I've never been able to get this to
> > work. I think the context for gpm is erased or reset when switching
> > from consoles to X and vice versa.  I haven't actually researched
> > what actually happens, so there could be an answer to your
> > question, and I look forward to hearing it if there is.
>
> The cut/paste buffer for gpm is maintained by gpm and is a separate
> space from the cut/paste buffer provided by your desktop manager. They
> aren't designed to share data. I suppose they could by using some
> shared memory segment with a well-known handle or something, but
> currently they're entirely separate.

But that would imply that it should work, because gpm works just fine
in X.  I can select text by double clicking with the mouse, and paste
it with the middle button, just like in a console.  It even shares
across workspaces, just like it shares across consoles, and within
screen instances in the console.  From the behavior, it seem that gpm
has a separate buffer for the consoles and X.  Or X is just emulating
gpm behavior.

I haven't tried the screen idea suggested by the other poster yet.
That is a little more work than just clicking and pasting, but for
occasional use would be fine.