mount to NFS server 'julie' failed: No route to host

Greg Woods woods at ucar.edu
Thu Apr 12 20:21:06 UTC 2012

On Thu, 2012-04-12 at 11:33 -0700, don fisher wrote:
> This one keeps coming back on F16:-( I can ssh to and from the host, so
> part of the system knows it is there. I exported the file systems on
> julie again to make sure that was set up. What can "No route to host" mean?

Sounds like a firewall problem. "julie" may be allowing ssh but not
allowing NFS. Check the output of "iptables -L -v" on julie. There are
probably rules that allow TCP port 22 and drop everything not explicitly
allowed by default.

NFS is a very hard protocol to write firewall rules for because it uses
ports that vary. I generally don't use NFS in an environment where I
need to have the firewall turned on.

Easy test: on julie, run "systemctl stop iptables.service" and then see
if you can NFS-mount files from it. (Don't forget to run "systemctl
start iptables.service" afterwards when you are done to make sure you
don't leave julie vulnerable, until you determine if the environment is
safe to run without a firewall).

--Greg