Can't kill hung remote CP copy

suvayu ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 10:55:56 UTC 2012

On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 11:47, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:
>> How can I kill the broken cp operation ?
>
> killall -s SIGKILL cp

This might not work always. I have faced similar issues with processes
waiting to access a filesystem over the network. In these cases if there
is a problem with the network it might get into an UNINTERRUPTIBLE SLEEP
since it is waiting for I/O. The only way to get rid of these processes
is to wait or reboot. In my case this was a tape drive over a network
filesystem.

The OP can check if this is indeed the case by doing

  $ ps uf

If the "cp" process is in UNINTERRUPTIBLE SLEEP, the STATE of the
process should be D. If not then you can ignore my comment.

--
Suvayu