Can't kill hung remote CP copy

Andrew Gray andrewg at linnetsol.co.uk
Fri Apr 13 19:09:00 UTC 2012

On Fri, 2012-04-13 at 15:22 +0100, Andrew Gray wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-04-13 at 15:59 +0200, suvayu ali wrote:

> > > What happens if you ifdown the nic (if you are on the console
> > > obviously)?  Would that allow the cif mount and/or the cp to become
> > > available for umount/kill?
> >
> > That is a good question. I don't know what would happen then. I guess if
> > the filesystem implementation is smart enough to return an error when
> > the network goes down, then the I/O wait is over and the application
> > gets file read error of some kind and "wakes up" from its
> > UNINTERRUPTIBLE SLEEP. But then, this is just a hypothesis which I
> > cannot test (I do not have admin privileges to test this).
> >
> > --
> > Suvayu
> >
> > Open source is the future. It sets us free.
>
> Thanks for your help
>
> I will try all the suggestions next time, including disabling the NIC
> to see if it free's the CP or allows umount ?

I have had another cp hung, with NIC disabled:-

killall -s SIGKILL cp     Doesn't kill the hung cp

ps -uf  show the cp is in STATE  D  hence UNINTERRUPTIBLE SLEEP

So the only thing to do is restart though it will hang going down trying
to umount the CIF mount  held my the hung cp.
Only thing then is to then hit the system reset and FORCE restart

Again how do you kill a  cp in UNINTERRUPTIBLE SLEEP !!!

--
Andrew Gray <andrewg at linnetsol.co.uk>
Linnet Solutions Ltd