flash updated (11.2 r202) yesterday, strange permissions stuff, no youtube

Joel Rees joel.rees at gmail.com
Sat Apr 14 05:03:01 UTC 2012

Per the subject, updated the local copies of flash yesterday (Friday the
thirteenth here). No time to check the results yesterday, and today, when
my daughter tried to listen to youtube, no joy.

So, i checked my shell history yesterday, and I'm pretty sure I skipped the
chown step.

Checking the permissions/owner flags, however, reveals something very odd.

Group was set according to the user. Owner was set to a numerical value
5000+owner.

Putting real numbers on this, given the user user519, numerical
userid:groupid 519:519,

the owner:group for /home/user519/.mozilla/plugin/libflashplayer.so was
5519:519 when I checked this morning.

Now, I did not erase the previous version of libflashplayer, so the usual
rules for cp without -p or a similar option (as I recall, and I don't see
the specifics in the man entry right now) would be to leave the existing
owner:group when overwriting. So I should not be surprised had the
owner:group been 519:519 in the example above. Needless to say, I don't
know of anything but a bug that would give me owner+5000.

(Unless I dozed off while my fingers were still typing, as I sometimes do
these days. Hate it when I do that. Gotta get more sleep. But I still can't
imagine what I might have done, sleep-typing, to end up with that, and I
don't see any record of such a thing in my .history file.)

And, having chown-ed to (per the example above) user519, flash still
refuses to run youtube for us.

Anyone else having issues with this version of flash? -- Shockwave Flash
11.2 r202.

And anyone have an idea why the owner of a file would end up 5000+userid?

--
Joel Rees