flash updated (11.2 r202) yesterday, strange permissions stuff, no youtube

Joel Rees joel.rees at gmail.com
Sat Apr 14 08:08:24 UTC 2012

On Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 3:30 PM, Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko at greshko.com> wrote:
> On 04/14/2012 02:15 PM, Joel Rees wrote:
>> Well, I just downloaded the tarball once more, and took a look. cmp
>> says today's tarball is different from yesterdays. Unpacking the
>> tarball and doing a diff -r reveals that they differ in the contents
>> of the readme (version goes up from .228 to .233) and the kde library,
>> /usr/lib/kde4/kcm/adobe/flash_player.so .

Noticed that libflashplayer is also different, so I went ahead and
moved today's libflashplayer in to see what would happen. No change.
(Guess I'm still not up to speed on reading diffs.)

I should note that some videos work, either way. (Live video of Heart
doing Heartless and another of B-52s doing Roam. The Roam video claims
to be a conversion to Theora.) Probably Theora/ogg and other free
stuff works and non-free stuff that depends on Flash to get around the
codec issue doesn't.

>> So, the versions shouldn't be at issue here. I guess I'll tell my
>> daughter that youtube is isn't going to work for a few days, until I
>> get more information, at least.
>>
>> Adobe's failure to provide cryptographic checksums for those further
>> undermines my trust in their processes.
>
> Why don't you switch your youtube experience to hmtl5?
>
> http://www.youtube.com/html5
>
> and join....

Great idea!

Doesn't seem to make any difference, however.

I'm seeing some messages that may be related in /var/log/messages,
I'll have to copy paste them into this thread. And I'll try moving the
old Flash plugin back in to see if that tells me anything. May put
flash in one account on the box I'm using here, to see if it's perhaps
a CPU or other hardware issue but not now. Have some family business.

--
Joel Rees