ThinkPad microphone not working

stan gryt2 at q.com
Sat Apr 14 14:50:58 UTC 2012

On Sat, 14 Apr 2012 15:15:44 +0200
suvayu ali <fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 14:47, suvayu ali
> <fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> I don't think this is an alsa issue.  If alsamixer sees the mic,
> >> then alsa is handling it properly, if the driver and hardware are
> >> OK.
> >>
> >> Install pavucontrol and check how pulse is viewing the microphone.
> >> Perhaps it inadvertently got turned off?
> >>

> > Everything seems to be in order. Just for the sake of completeness
> > I'm posting screenshots from both alsamixer and pavucontrol.
> > Alsamixer was started like this:
> >
> > $ alsamixer -c0 -Vcapture
>
> I forgot to include the screenshots :-p
>
> http://imagebin.org/208058
> http://imagebin.org/208059

You're right, these look fine.  There is one other thing.  When I open
alsamixer in capture view on my cards, there is a setting for whether
capture is line in, cd, or mic. Is your capture set to mic?

I've had to switch this in the past when I wanted to record something
from a receiver via line in or from the mic.  Record wouldn't do what I
wanted, even though it was turned on.