Can't kill hung remote CP copy

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Sat Apr 14 15:14:35 UTC 2012

On 04/14/2012 10:54 PM, Hal wrote:

> On 4/14/2012 8:08 AM, suvayu ali wrote:
>> On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 21:09, Andrew Gray<andrewg at linnetsol.co.uk>  wrote:
>>> Again how do you kill a  cp in UNINTERRUPTIBLE SLEEP !!!
>> I'll repeat myself: "The only way to get rid of these processes is to
>> wait or reboot."
>>

> Pardon my stupidity, if you can observe ot determine the process number for the cp
> operation it appears one could use 'kill' and one of its options to remove the
> process.

Ahhhh.....no....

When you do a "kill" you are sending a "signal" to a process and that process will
act upon it depending on the signal.  For example, if you did a "kill -1" to the
named process it will cause it to reread its configuration files and zone files.

Whatever process you send the kill to must be in a state where it can receive and
process the signal.

If you process is stuck in a WAIT state it won't "catch" the signal.  The same is
true of Zombie processes.  Zombies are child processes whose parent process has died
unexpectedly.;

of the century. -- Dame Edna Everage