Can't kill hung remote CP copy

suvayu ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Sat Apr 14 15:15:35 UTC 2012

Hi Hal,

On Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 16:54, Hal <hal at faams.net> wrote:
> On 4/14/2012 8:08 AM, suvayu ali wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 21:09, Andrew Gray<andrewg at linnetsol.co.uk>
>>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Again how do you kill a  cp in UNINTERRUPTIBLE SLEEP !!!
>>
>> I'll repeat myself: "The only way to get rid of these processes is to
>> wait or reboot."
>>

> Pardon my stupidity, if you can observe ot determine the process number for
> the cp operation it appears one could use 'kill' and one of its options to
> remove the process.

And I will repeat myself again: You _cannot_ kill a process in
uninterruptible sleep. Only way to get rid of this is to wait for it to
finish, or reboot the system. If you could interrupt it (sending SIGKILL
is a type of interruption), it wouldn't be called uninterruptible sleep
would it?

Some reference:
<http://stackoverflow.com/questions/223644/what-is-an-uninterruptable-process>

--