Can't kill hung remote CP copy

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Sat Apr 14 18:55:57 UTC 2012

> Exactly. The correct view of "kill -9" is not that you kill the process
> but that you order the process to commit suicide. If it's not listening,
> no amount of shouting is going to make a difference.

As another example, your CPU sometimes disables interrupts while it's
processing one because what it's doing is too time-bound to be broken
into.  If something happens and it hangs, even pushing the reset button
(assuming your box has one) will work; it takes power cycling.  I had
that happen, occasionally, when I was doing tech support and I'd have to
tell callers to pull the power cord for a few seconds.  (It also
happened to my own box once or twice, years ago.)  Once, the computer
was a laptop and the caller had to go hunt up a screwdriver to take the
battery out.