Can't kill hung remote CP copy

Michael Hennebry hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu
Sat Apr 14 19:25:34 UTC 2012

On Sat, 14 Apr 2012, Andy Blanchard wrote:

> On 14 April 2012 19:26, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:
>

>> on the other hand i am missing understanding that there
>> is no root-command to kill such processes without
>> "their help"
>>
>> the kernel should be able to kill anything
>> sounds like a missing interface for me
>>

> In theory, yes, but the problem would be that the kernel would no longer
> have any way of knowing what state the device being waited on is in.
> Depending on the device that could be very bad news and potentially result
> in trashed data.

Of course the kernel has no way of knowing that the bad news has not already
happened and that continued waiting is not just making things worse.

It would seem sensible to be able to kill
any process that is not reset immune.
For that matter, it would seem sensible to be able to
kill any process that is not power button immune.
Perhaps kill --with-extreme-prejudice and kill --with-all-prejudice  .

Under what circumstance would killing a waiting process
be worse than a process that should have waited,
but terminated instead?

whom I teach not to run with scissors,
that my fiance ran me through with a broadsword."  --  Lily