Can't kill hung remote CP copy

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 14 20:21:03 UTC 2012

On Sat, 14 Apr 2012 21:11:36 +0100
Alan Cox wrote:

> In the case of NFS btw read the mount page for the "soft" and "intr"
> options and also read about umount -f.

One of my favorite near infinite hangs is a giant process that
decides to core dump across NFS. I don't know if it is still
the case, but once upon a time when linux started writing
a core file, it would never stop for any reason till it was
done.

When you do the math and find that it will take several days
to finish the core dump across the NFS link, pulling the plug
on the machine becomes the best option :-).