ThinkPad microphone not working

suvayu ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 13:59:05 UTC 2012

Hi Stan,

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 15:41, stan <gryt2 at q.com> wrote:
> That suggests that the problem with reading the stored configuration
> is an alsa problem.  I don't see that problem running F17 with all
> updates (my sound status always restores).  And there aren't legions of
> people on the list asking about the problem.  So it seems to be
> confined to your hardware and software combination.  You have a
> workaround, but it probably won't get fixed unless you report it.  The
> fact that the workaround works suggests this might be a timing issue
> during startup, maybe in systemd timing for bringing up subsystems?  I
> know little about systemd, but could a rule change help?  Maybe a
> dependency is missing?  Just (WA)guesses.

alsa-utils has a few systemd services:

/lib/systemd/system/alsa-restore.service
/lib/systemd/system/alsa-store.service
/lib/systemd/system/basic.target.wants/alsa-restore.service
/lib/systemd/system/shutdown.target.wants/alsa-store.service

Looking at the contents I don't see anything out of the ordinary, but
then I'm not very familiar with how systemd works either. So indeed it
might be a problem with how systemd is executing it, and maybe this
materialises itself on my hardware.

I'll take a closer look tomorrow.

Cheers,

--