Kernel 3.3.1-5 breaks mouse selecting.

R. Welsh Robert_Welsh at comcast.net
Mon Apr 16 14:31:20 UTC 2012

On Mon, 2012-04-16 at 15:53 +0200, Mateusz Marzantowicz wrote:
> Christopher Svanefalk:
> > Can anyone else confirm problems with selecting text (etc) using the
> > mouse after updating to the latest Kernel for F16? Whenever I try, it
> > will "drop" my selection (and start over somewhere else) when I try to
> > highlight something. It is extremely annoying since it makes
> > copy-pasting nigh impossible using the mouse.
> >
> > No bug report filed yet, just wanted to see if anyone else had similar issues.
> >
> I understand your frustration but how did you manage to find out that
> it's caused by Linux kernel? I had similar issue some time ago, and it
> was mouse (device) failure.
>
> Do you have any log messages that can proof your theory about kernel
> being a victim?
>

> Mateusz Marzantowicz

I have not read the entire message trail, but I am wondering what
application is being used when there is a selection of info from the
app.  I have noticed a recent change with the response in Firefox when
selecting sections of test.  There are some hyperlink points on a web
page that can cause this selection issue to manifest.  When you are
holding the mouse button down while selecting a region or text string on
a web page, if you pass over one of these hyperlink points on the web
page, the selection will reset from that point, so the area that was
being selected is no no longer highlighted.

I am not sure if this is what you are referencing, but this may have to
do with a recent change to Firefox.

I think there needs to be more experimenting to isolate.

Bob W.