red hat?

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 06:07:41 UTC 2012

On 04/16/2012 05:22 AM, jdow wrote:
> On 2012/04/16 02:04, Bryn M. Reeves wrote:
>>
>> On 04/13/2012 06:40 PM, jdow wrote:
>>> It might help if you washed them once and awhile.
>>>
>>> {O.O} (You should know by not I lurk here and NO good
>>> straight-line is safe.)
>>
>> Washing tends to make them fall apart faster, not slower (intense
>> mechanical agitation and all that ;).
>>
>> Bryn.
>
> Dirt embedded within the fabric causes more wear with flexing. And some
> "gunk" that gets on shirts dries stiffly leading to high stress points
> at the edges of the dried gunk - like Elmer's Glue, cyano-acrylate, and
> other fun stuff you might find yourself playing with.
>
> You have raised an interesting question that is incredibly far off topic.
> Is there an optimum time to wash clothing relative to accumulated dirt of
> various types irrespective of odors generated?

Since that was my industry for 26 years, no. Depends on the nature of
the stain (animal fat, petroleum, mineral or protein) and the pH of it.
  I guess as a rule of thumb, anything shorter than 8-10 minutes just in
the wash cycle (not subsequent rinses, etc) is a waste of resources. It
takes time, with the proper chemicals, temperatures and mechanical
action. Enzymes take even longer, 15 minutes or more, at skin
temperature. They have all kinds of bugs that will eat just about
anything, leaving the fabric completely intact. They will also eat you.
Leave that one to professionals.

Since we are TOTALLY offtopic I'll share this one with everyone. Take 1
part of nail polish remover (acetate based) and 10 parts liquid
detergent to make a spotter that will get rid of just about any tough
stain, including set ink, if you work it gently and long enough. Enjoy!  Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html