Dell p513w with Fedora 16

Dave Cross davorg at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 10:57:19 UTC 2012

On 16 April 2012 11:23, Dale Dellutri <daledellutri at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 8:45 AM, Dave Cross <davorg at gmail.com> wrote:
>> My new Dell laptop came with a free Dell p513w printer. I've been
>> trying to set it up for use with Fedora 16.
>>
>> It's a wireless printer, so I've set it up, connected it to my network
>> and got it working using a Windows PC. My Fedora desktop can see it on
>> the next work, but it appears that foomatic doesn't have a PPD for
>> this model of printer, so I've been scouring the internet.
>>
>> This README file
>> (http://downloads.dell.com/printer/R247660_Readme.txt) talks about a
>> file called dell-inkjet-09-driver-1.0-1.i386.rpm.sh.tar.gz which
>> installs a bunch of PPDs for Dell printers in
>> /usr/dellinkjet/dell09/etc/. The list includes dlP513w.ppd, which is
>> the PPD for my printer. However, the only file that I can find is
>> http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/DriverDetails?DriverId=R247660&FileId=2731129294&DriverName=Dell%20Photo%20P513W%20AIO%20Inkjet%20Printer%2C%20A00
>> which only includes the .deb version of the package, not the .rpm one.
>>
>> I've asked Dell support for help, but I thought I'd ask here too. Has
>> anyone had this problem or (even better) solved it? Is it possible to
>> extract the PPD from the .deb version of the file?
>>
>> Any advice would be much appreciated.
>
> Google search for
>  .deb extractor
> gives:
>  http://www.g-loaded.eu/2008/01/28/how-to-extract-rpm-or-deb-packages/

Yeah. If I could get to the .deb I'd be fine. But the download is a
shell script that generates and installs a .deb - and, obviously, it
won't run successfully on my Fedora box.

However, I've just discovered that the shell script has a --keep
option that doesn't delete the extracted contents once the script has
finished. And that has given me access to the .deb. So we seem to be
good now - although I won't be able to confirm until I get back to my
desktop tonight.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Dave...

Dave Cross :: dave at dave.org.uk