Upgrading to Verizon FIOS from Verizon DSL - Linux machine as router/Gateway/LAN server

Tommy Pham tommyhp2 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 01:49:27 UTC 2012

On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 4:50 PM, Amadeus W.M. <amadeus84 at verizon.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 16:03:21 -0400, Max Pyziur wrote:
>
>> Greetings,
>>
>> A long time ago I setup a Linux machine as a Gateway/LAN Server using
>> Verizon DSL as the ISP.
>>
>> I used the following HOWTO as the guide - DSL HOWTO For Linux:
>> http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/DSL-HOWTO/index.html
>>
>> Is there something comprable for Verizon FIOS?
>>

> Just configure your internet NIC card to use DHCP. You may want to try a
> wireless router, if you have 2+ pcs and laptops. Then there's really
> nothing to do other than connect the cables.

Or depending on your main system and if that main system is on 24/7.
I recently upgrade my main and rid of the others.  The new main has 8
core with 32 GB RAM with 3 wired NICs and 1 USB wireless.  The main
host does nothing except for IMs and watching my weekly animes.  I
have 1 VM using 1 core and 2 GB RAM for NAT, routing, firewall, and
wireless AP.  I have several other VMs doing for various tasks such as
development testing of various platforms.  Currently the main host is
Windows server but I'm in the progress to migrating to Linux or
FreeBSD, depending how well KVM or VirtualBox performs comparing to
VMWare that's currently running with Windows.  BTW, I stopped using
consumer router a long time ago because of a lot of hack attempts
against me (or rather my router) that would require me to reset or
cycle its power like every other day.  I didn't even know so many
attempts existed until I started using FreeBSD's PF.  :)