nouveau tv-out

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Fri Apr 20 03:40:48 UTC 2012

Konstantin Svist writes:

> I tried connecting a laptop s-video out to a tv last night but couldn't see
> a software option for it anywhere.

Most laptops have a key combination to activate external video.

> Running Fedora 16 x64 XFCE with nouveau driver. Checked xrandr and F ->
> Settings -> Display applet.
>
> Also tried a VGA to s-video adapter, same story.
>
> Tried installing kmod-nvidia - X refuses to start altogether.
>
> What should I try next?

Examine your keyboard. Look for an icon on some key that looks like a
monitor. The icon is usually painted with the same color as some other key
that's typically labeled "Fn". That's your hint. There may be more than one
key, to cut over your video completely, to the external port, or to have it
go both to the laptop and to the external video.