Fedora-17 Irritations

Michael Hennebry hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu
Fri Apr 20 17:09:42 UTC 2012

On Fri, 20 Apr 2012, Tom Horsley wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Apr 2012 17:27:36 +0100
> Peter Hillier-Brook wrote:
>
>> 2.I installed an HP printer via the Printers dialogue and I cannot find
>> any way to set paper sizes to A4.
>
> The weird thing is in the US, I constantly run into printers all
> defaulting to A4 when I want US-Letter. I think there must be a
> test backward somewhere in the paper handling code :-).
>
> Anyway, I did finally decrypt the paper size default secret:
>
> yum install libpaper
> echo Letter > /etc/papersize
>
> That gets libreoffice (at least) to default to Letter when
> creating a new document. Presumably you could swap in A4
> instead of Letter.

Will that necessarily work?
It seems to me that you could have a situation in which libreoffice
believes in A4, but the printer still believes in Letter.

When I had application/printer mismatch problems,
it was usually because the application
believed in A4 and the printer in Letter.
In such cases, the authour had usually added extra u's to the documentation.

whom I teach not to run with scissors,
that my fiance ran me through with a broadsword."  --  Lily