ifcfg-ethX voodoo for a second IP on the same interface

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sat Apr 21 14:25:36 UTC 2012

Ed Greshko writes:

> On 04/21/2012 01:41 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> > You're right about the doc and NetworkManager... I had to set it to no
> > > and bring down the service to make it work...  But then I'm using F17
> > > beta so maybe NM is broken???
>
> No, AFAIK, NM won't handle that type of configuration.
>
> You either do it the way you did, without NM.  Or, you do it the way I did,
> with NM.
>
> The other "downside" is that the NM GUI (at least on KDE) doesn't allow for
> adding a
> second IP address.  Needs to be done manually.

Yeah, I tried having an alias file every which way imaginable, and just
couldn't get it to work while having NetworkManager and DHCP run things.

NM, and DHCP, are very convenient, even if, for all practical purposes, the
assigned IP addresses are static. That does make things easier. Looks like
I'll just go with executing "ip addr add" manually, when I need to bring up
a second IP address. It's not really the end of the world, but it would've
been nicer if it were automated. I think that NM has a post-* script
somewhere, that gets executed when it brings up an interface with a DHCP-
acquired IP address, that I can stick that into…