syslogd in F-16 -

Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Sat Apr 21 17:36:55 UTC 2012

On 04/21/2012 01:19 PM, Todd Zullinger wrote:
> Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA wrote:
>> DD-wrt has a logging function which I am unable to make work per:
>> http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Logging_with_DD-WRT since it
>> apparently needs syslogd which has been replaced with syslog-ng if I
>> understand what I've found.
>
> That page is referring to syslogd on the dd-wrt system, as far as I
> can tell.  It mentions in passing that if you want to send logs to a
> remote host, that the remote host needs to be running a syslog daemon,
> but makes no mention of what daemon that should be.  Any syslog daemon
> on the remote host would suffice.  I have rsyslog at home with dd-wrt
> logging there.

        Ok, I guess I didn't understand everything I read. It looks like
        I have rsyslog running.

            [bobg at box7 ~]$ service rsyslog status
            Redirecting to /bin/systemctl  status rsyslog.service
            rsyslog.service - System Logging Service
                   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/rsyslog.service;
            enabled)
                   Active: active (running) since Sat, 21 Apr 2012
            09:11:45 -0400; 4h 17min ago
                  Process: 865 ExecStartPre=/bin/systemctl stop
            systemd-kmsg-syslogd.service (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
                 Main PID: 908 (rsyslogd)
                   CGroup: name=systemd:/system/rsyslog.service
                       └ 908 /sbin/rsyslogd -n -c 5

        However it says the log data should be sent to
        /tmp/var/log/messages  which does not exist. Of course there is
        /var/log/messages but I see nothing there. I guess the question
        then becomes should I create that file?

        Bob

--
http://www.qrz.com/db/W2BOD