Installing packages from earlier versions

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sun Apr 22 23:14:59 UTC 2012

Christopher Svanefalk writes:

> Dear all,
>
> I recently upgraded to F17 Beta and things are looking good so far. However,
> one of the major problems I am having so far is that F17 ships with Eclipse
> 4.2. This is great in itself, but the Scala plugin, which I cannot work
> without, currently does not support 4.2 and most likely wont do so for
> another few months.
>
> Is there any way to install the F16 Eclipse on F17? It would be a great
> temporary workaround. Thanks in advance for any help!

If I were in such a situation, what I would do:

1) yum remove all eclipse packages, and all of its dependencies. yum-plugin-
remove-with-leaves is a great way to do this.

2) Temporary turn off the beta release/updates yum repository in /etc/yum.repos.d

3) Install a temporary yum.repos.d repository link pointing to the previous
release's base, and updates yum repos. Both of them.

4) Try to "yum install" all the top-level eclipse packages I think I would
need.

5) yum will proceed only if it thinks that all the dependencies can be
worked out. In either case, of yum's success or failure, afterwards all the
changes to /etc/yum.repos.d should be undone.