OT: Getting local IP addresses from a gateway

Jonathan Ryshpan jonrysh at pacbell.net
Mon Apr 23 01:11:47 UTC 2012

On Mon, 2012-04-23 at 00:15 +0200, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 23.04.2012 00:09, schrieb Jonathan Ryshpan:
> > I need to get the IP numbers of local hosts, i.e. hosts inside my gateway's firewall.  The domain name server in
> > the gateway provides the IP addresses of hosts and sites on the internet, but does not provide the IP addresses for
> > hosts on my local net.  The gateway is aware of their names and addresses; one of its admin screens shows them,
> > exactly as they identify themselves.  A chat session with customer support (an extract follows) indicates that this
> > function is definitely not available.  The problem is not disastrous, since the addresses, once assigned, are
> > pretty much static, and so can be put into /etc/hosts.  However this looks a little like a hack.
>
> have you ever heard about DNS? :-)

I have.  The gateway includes a mini DNS server within itself, as you
probably know.  I could set up a DNS server on one of my hosts, but
don't think this would be worth the trouble, since there will be at most
4 of them.  Thanks for your advice, which is well meant though
mischievously stated (;-).

jon