Help with formatting position on page of printer output

Tim Waugh twaugh at redhat.com
Mon Apr 23 09:21:45 UTC 2012

On Sun, 2012-04-22 at 14:54 -0700, don fisher wrote:
> I am running f16 with an HP-7680 printer. When I print text, the top of
> the page is cut off. More of the top is cut off on the reverse side in
> Duplex mode. I looked at the standard system-config-printers and could
> not find anything that would specify position from the top. I also
> looked an the f16 Administrators guide, but it referred to the same command.
>
> It has been about 10 years, but I seem to recall that you could do this
> in a printcap file.
>
> Please tell me the modern way to set this up.

Ideally the PPD for the printer would already know the margins, and it
appears this is not the case.

For printing *text files*, you can adjust the position of the text on
the page using special job options: page-left, page-right, page-top,
page-bottom.  These specify how many "points" (1 pt == 1/72 in) to leave
for the margins.

Tim.
*/