OT: Getting local IP addresses from a gateway

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 11:33:24 UTC 2012

On 23 April 2012 00:08, Scott Doty <scott at ponzo.net> wrote:

> Jonathan Ryshpan <jonrysh at pacbell.net> wrote:
>>
>> I need to get the IP numbers of local hosts, i.e. hosts inside my
>> gateway's firewall.  The domain name server in the gateway provides the IP
>> addresses of hosts and sites on the internet, but does not provide the IP
>> addresses for hosts on my local net.

> Not sure if you can run it on the belkin, but dd-wrt has this capability...
>
> Also, using avahi, you might be able to resolve the host as "hostname.local"
> (where "hostname" is your host's name.

Agreed, you should be able to install nss-mdns and avahi on all your
machines and then use hostname.local addresses. I don't know how you
get Mac and Windows to play with this configuration (Mac at least
should be able to do it) and if there are non-pc devices that need to
be resolved then you do need to think about having a DHCP+DNS server
or giving those static-IPs for your network (which is not necessarily
a bad solution).

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk