upgrading to fc16 video or gtk3 problem?

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 23:54:27 UTC 2012

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 2:55 PM, JD <jd1008 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 2:48 PM, Aaron Konstam <akonstam at sbcglobal.net>wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 2012-04-25 at 11:51 -0600, JD wrote:
>> > After upgrading from fc14 to fc16 using DVD iso,
>> > I booted up after the upgrade, and tried to log in
>> > on the gnome welcome screen.
>> > Well, I got the blue screen but my desktop never
>> > came up and a banner popped up
>> > Oooops - something went wrong ... logout and try again.
>> >
>> > I was never able to go beyond that no matter how many
>> > times I retried.
>> >
>> > Then I performed the updates.
>> > After the updates, I rebooted.
>> >
>> > Now I get no gnome welcome screen.
>> > The screen stays  blank, and the
>> > disk activity light on the computer remains on,
>> > until I press the Return key. After that the
>> > disk activity light goes out, and screen remains blank.
>> >
>> > PS: my graphics chip is the legacy Radeon Mobility 9600/M10
>> >
>> > I tried to switch to any one of the vty's
>> > (Control-Alt F2 or F3 or F4) to no avail. Nothing happens.
>> >
>> > Any ideas what to look at and fix in single user mode?
>> >
>> > Thanx,
>> >
>> > JD
>>
>> My prejudice would not to upgrade but to install F16 as a new
>> installation. There so many differences between F14 and F16 that I would
>> not trust an automatic upgrade to work.
>> But on the other hand some people do this and it works.
>>

> I will try one more solution suggested on the web, and failing that,
> I think I will do a fresh install, and then install all the missing rpms
> that I had on fc14 (assuming they have been ported to fc16.)

OK, I tried the solution suggested on the web, and did not work.
So, I did a clean install (not upgrade) and that went perfectly well
as far as installation.
BUT, logging in from the gdm greeting menu just hangs after
entering the password and clicking log in.
It just hangs there and nothing happens.

Logging in as root on vty2, I see that the user jd has one process
which is executing some program with the argument login
Sorry, I do not recall what the program was and cannot look it up
as the fedora installation machine is not accessible to me right now.