f16, vncserver, screen geometry

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Fri Apr 27 17:47:11 UTC 2012

Lets Go Canes wrote:
>> I guess this is two questions in one.  1) Has the
>> config file for vncserver moved or is f16's vncserver
>> implementation broken?
>
> It has moved and now has a different format.  Copy /lib/systemd/system/vncserver at .service to /lib/systemd/system/vncserver@:1.service (change :1 to whatever vnc display number you want to use), and then edit it to have the correct username.  I use the following lines in mine:
>
> ExecStart=/usr/bin/vncserver %i -geometry 1100x900
> ExecStop=/usr/bin/vncserver -kill %i
>
> where %i is the username defiend earlier in the file.
>
>>    2) Is it possible to add a
>> custom display size somewhere?  (looking to add
>> 1670x1020).
>
> add the geometry argument as above.
>
> [I am thinking there may have been another step or two to add the customized file to systemctl, but it escapes me at the moment.]
>
> Note that in my experience, vncserver does not start properly as part of system boot.  I have to login over ssh and issue the systemctl start command by-hand.  Another poster told me they had a similar problem, and use a cron job to make sure it is started.

I sometimes do this another way, using the "-vnc N" option to kvm, starting some
VMs from command line. That doesn't seem to have an option to set the geometry
(I might have missed it) but in looking at one VM I use, which I created by "dd"
to a file from the original drive, it had VNC access enabled and I can get at it
using a VNC connection to the host or to the VM. I'm not sure this is good for
anything, but it's a way to allow VNC access to machines which can't provide
their own, so I though I'd mention it.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>