mount -t nfs4 fails, but mount -t nfs succeeds

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Fri Apr 27 18:38:58 UTC 2012

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Apr 2012, Ian Pilcher wrote:
>
>> On 04/26/2012 02:45 PM, Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
>>> Can anyone explain this?  How can it be fixed?  Do some services need to
>>> be started on the server?
>>>
>>> The server is "weather".  This log is from the client:
>>>          # mount -t nfs weather:/home/jonrysh /mnt/weather
>>>          # ls /mnt/weather
>>>          Desktop  Documents  Downloads  Music  Pictures  Public  Templates  Videos  grub2
>>>          # umount /mnt/weather
>>>          # mount -t nfs4 weather:/home/jonrysh /mnt/weather
>>>          mount.nfs4: mounting weather:/home/jonrysh failed, reason given by server:
>>>            No such file or directory
>>>          #
>>> Thanks in advance - jon
>>
>> NFSv4 works very differently from previous versions.  You should be
>> able to Google up plenty of documentation.
>>
>> The key point is that you can't just switch between v3 and v4
>> without reconfiguring things.
>
>    possibly off-topic but a long, long, *long* time ago, i wondered if
> you could set up a network using *exclusively* NFSv4, and found it was
> impossible -- at least one of the client programs required some
> earlier version of NFS even if it wasn't being used.
>
>    any clarification on whether one can run a *purely* NFSv4 network?

I see no reason why not. On all machines at one site nfs4 is used to provide
idmap capability. That's the only kind of mount used, and a long look with
wireshark shows all nfs packets were V4, so I empirically conclude it works.

You have to diddle the firewall to get nfs3 to work IIRC.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>