Syncing with MTP devices

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Sat Apr 28 05:29:13 UTC 2012

On Fri, 2012-04-27 at 20:17 -0400, Todd Zullinger wrote:
> Tom Horsley wrote:
> > On Fri, 27 Apr 2012 18:07:41 -0430 Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> >
> >> Ironically, one of my reasons for moving from iPhone to Android was
> >> the hope of better Linux support ...
> >
> > Personally, I use wi-fi and rsync with my android. There is an rsyn
> > app available for android.
>
> Indeed.  The MTP support in linux pretty much sucks.  If it was the
> only option, I'm sure more of us would try to work on improving it.
> But, like Tom, I just use other methods of transfering files.  I
> installed QuickSSHd on my Galaxy Nexus and use sshfs and rsync for
> most of my syncing.

Installed the free SSHDroid and it worked (after a good deal of futzing
around with the SSH login). However the new music didn't show up in any
music apps on the phone. Then I had a brainwave and installed SDrescan,
which forces a rescan of the /sdcard filesystem, and lo! it now works.

Presumably this is something else an MTP connection would take care of,
but never mind.

poc