What's with ipv6 in fc17?

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sat Apr 28 23:22:22 UTC 2012

Doesn't seem to know how to route packets. Test environment set up,
machines assigned IP in fe80:: space, DHCP and DNS work, IP gets
assigned, route table shows fe80::/64 going out eth0, but ping6 won't
work unless the interface is specified, ssh say "Invalid argument," etc.
Tried giving a default route, made sure ip firewall was allowing
forwarding (got that from a wiki), etc. No joy, and back in fc13 was was
running a whole site over ipv6 including nfs.

Can't hand that to users, and most of the docs are for old kernels, 2.4
and such. It "just worked" in fc13, what has been "enhanced" to make it
worthless now?

It's definitely a routing thing, because ping6 works when the interface
is forced, and loopback works with ssh and such. One article said you
need to define routes for each site you want to use, using "ip route"
and I assume that's nonsense, there's just some feature which is
disabled to protect the innocent and not clearly documented so people
can feel like gurus knowing.

--
Bill Davidsen<davidsen at tmr.com>