question regarding ls w/ colors and capturing to file

Paul Allen Newell pnewell at cs.cmu.edu
Wed Aug 1 01:38:42 UTC 2012

On 7/31/2012 6:24 PM, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

> Paul,
>   You may want to look at the search capabilities built into less.
> (man less). Unless you need to modify the file, less should let you
> do what you want.
>   Also, you can use ls -FR --color | less -R to get rid of the output
> to the screen buffer.
>
> Have fun.
> Mikkel

Mikkel:

Yeah, I think I have underestimated what less can do ... I'll check the
man pages.

I want to believe that all I want the editor for is navigation, but I
know that occasionally I edit out items I don't care about so I have a
file left of "things to work on".

I pretty happy with the two options I got, it makes initial scan for
"problems" alot easier.

Thanks,
Paul