F17 takes so long to reboot/poweroff

sguazt marco.guazzone at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 07:12:53 UTC 2012

On Sun, Jul 29, 2012 at 4:01 PM, Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> On Sat, 2012-07-28 at 22:27 -0400, Eddie G.O'Connor Jr-I wrote:
>> I run BleachBit and this seems to ...
>
> And, for what it's worth, I'm always highly wary of using any third
> party tool to maintain a system.  Quite apart from the fact that there's
> been various Windows things that claim to improve things, but just make
> them worse, or are outright malware.  There's the issue of the
> application lagging behind the design of your system.  As soon as
> there's a change to how your system does something that it will
> interfere with, you've either got to wait for it to catch up with the
> new way of doing it, or risk it stuffing up your system.
>
> Webmin and LinuxConf are two things that I've experienced them balls-up
> a Linux installation, long ago.  So it's not just a Windows issue.

Dear all,

at last I've found the source of problem.

It is fail2ban (an application which "bans IPs that make too many
password failures", that I use for SSH attacks).
It takes a very large amount of time to stop.
In fact, without it, F17 shutdown/reboot in few seconds.

Now, I probably submit a bug for fail2ban (in F16, it worked OK)

Thanks to all for the very helpful hints

Best,

-- Marco