Unable To Update.....

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Wed Aug 1 10:03:34 UTC 2012

On 08/01/2012 05:06 PM, Eddie G.O'Connor Jr-I wrote:
> I tried Ed, but it's saying I don't have permissions......now I know this is ill advised, but when I first installed F16 I did the unthinkable and made my USER account the ROOT account, so I don't see how that's possible.....hmmm.......lloks like I'll be upgrading a bit sooner than I thought then?.....need to get an external 500GB drive....transfer

You've successfully weirded your system.  Doing what you did is like walking around with a loaded gun in your hand, with the safety off, and your finger on the trigger.

Don't know why you can't delete those files if your user is truly root.

You could always boot a Fedora DVD and go into "rescue" mode and delete files from there.

If I were in your shoes I would forget about clamav and just backup all data and install F17 from scratch.  And when you install clamav, I'd do it from the Fedora repos and not download and compile from source like I think you were doing.