Fedora 17 cannot boot on my pc...

Georgios Petasis petasisg at yahoo.gr
Wed Aug 1 19:09:01 UTC 2012

Στις 1/8/2012 14:30, ο/η Heinz Diehl έγραψε:
> On 01.08.2012, Georgios Petasis wrote:
>
>> I have contacted gigabyte for a BIOS update (saying to them that there is a bug in
>> the ACPI section of their BIOS), but I am getting irrelevant answers, like
>> using linux drivers from the vendors of the board parts, or removing the
>> BIOS battery and "loading failsafe defaults".
> How do you know that there is a bug in the Bios, and that the Bios is
> the cause for your kernel-freeze?
I just assumed, because I am getting a freeze during "loading initial
ramdisk".
Not much has been done until the freeze.

>> Unfortunately, the kernel freezes at the very begging of the boot process.
> You should try with a vanilla kernel from kernel.org, e.g. mainline
> 3.5.0 and see if the problem persist. If this is the case, you
> should provide some more information (screenshot, logfiles, dmesg, .config
> etc.). Noone will be able to help you without this.

This sounds too difficult for me. I played with the bios settings, and I
found out that the freeze happens when the option "AMD C1E" is enabled
in the BIOS. If C1E is disabled, I don't need the acpi=off to get Linux
to boot. And this time the pc can be turned off during shutdown.

George