Files of type .abw start weirdly in KDE

Jonathan Ryshpan jonrysh at pacbell.net
Thu Aug 2 01:06:21 UTC 2012

When I click on the file foo.abw in the Desktop I would expect the
abiword application to start with foo.abw open.  But actually firefox
opens with two tabs and two dialog boxes, both of which state:

        You have chosen to open

                foo.abw
                which is an AbiWord document (10.0 KB)
                from /home/jonrysh/desktop

        What should Firefox do with this file?

                O Open with AbiWord (default)
                O ...

The preferences in System Settings->File Associations all look OK.
Clicking on any other file in the Desktop works OK.  What's going on?
System is Fedora17 with KDE 4.8.4.

Thanks - jon